Momo. The most lovable dish over which anyone can drool over. The spicy and tangy flavour that brings tears to eyes is the most loved part about momos. Let’s know some fun and interesting facts about our snack.
1. Momos are of Tibetan Origin.
2. It is derived from the term ‘mog mog’.
3. The stuffing inside the momo were originally made from yak meat because the vegetables were very scarce in Himalayan region.
4. Momo are considered a traditional delicacy in Bhopal, Nepal, North Bengal, Assam and Bhutan.
5. Momos are also filled with Chhurpi which is an ancient ricotta type cheese in Himalayan region and is usually softer than paneer.
6. Momos are most likely steamed. Traditional momo steamer is called mucktoo.
7. Momo can also be boiled in meat broth. These momos are called pot-stickers or kothey momos.
8. In parts of Nepal, Sikkim and North Bengal they have plain momos without any stuffing and that is called tingo.
9. Momo also has a big brother called thaipo, which is common in Nepal, ladakh, North Bengal.
10. Momo can also be a part of thukpa or traditional Tibetan noodle and soup bowl.
11. One momo consists of 3.52 kcal.
12. Every shape of momo has a different name.
13. There is a restaurant in Kathmandu, Nepal which is famous for it’s open shaped momos, where you can pour different sauces of your choice.
14. Steamed momos are low in calories and can be a substitute for salad.
15. Momo is light on the stomach and also improves the function of the digestive system.
16. Momo is a Chinese word.
17. The momo is made into various shapes and types have different names for them.
18. Paneer is one of the most popular fillings of momo in India.
19. Pan fried momos are also known as kothey momos.
20. Momo have spread into foreign countries like U.S and U.K.
21. Steam momos have very low calories and can be substituted for salad.
22. Momo also has a big brother called thaipo, which is common in Nepal, Sikkim and North Bengal.
23. Momos are part of ethnic cuisine.
24. Momo mania is an annual event organised by the bakery cafe.
25. Momo has mono-sodium Glutamate which can lead to increase in obesity and nervous disorder.